Custom Search

Monday, December 14, 2009

Invest in Singapore properties: 10 things to know for first time private property buyers

10 Important things to know for 1st time Private Property Buyer on sub-sale units

By: Daphne of www.PropertyBUYER.com.sg mortgage consultants
TEL 6100 - 0608
SMS 9782 8606

As a recent property buyer, I started my search for my ideal apartment since November last year. I began my property hunt with absolutely zero knowledge on buying property in Singapore. I do not know the legal procedure involved, I do not know the tricks used by most property agents, and I do not know which area I should start with my property hunt, just to name a few. I missed the boat in making my purchase during the period from Jan- May when the property price was low as I was hoping that the price will go down even further and obviously being a first time inexperience property buyer, I was afraid to take the plunge.

I believe there are many people out there facing the same challenge as I did when I first started my property hunt. I was lucky to have friends who are experience in the property field to provide me with sound advice. I hope that this article can provide some useful insights on things one should take note of when purchasing a private property. The information provided is all base on my own accumulated knowledge and experience when I did my own property purchase.


1) Due Diligence
Buying a property is a big commitment and requires a lot of hard work in doing your own research. Never depend solely on agent’s recommendation as end of the day , the agent’s aim is to close the deal and get the commission. Research includes surfing through various property website to read up on property related articles and checking out the available units sold.

2) Do not depend solely on one agent to look for your apartment. Nothing beats
spreading the eggs into a few baskets and doing your own search. Talk to as many agents to learn and gather insights along the way. Experiencing unprofessional agents is part of the learning curve.

3) As a private property buyer, you do not pay any commission to the agent. And you should not no matter what he or she says. This is because they earn commission from the seller.

4) Stamp duty can be paid using CPF.
Buyer will have to fork out Hard cash first in paying the stamp duty. CPF will only reimburse the stamp duty back to the buyer upon completion of the property sales transaction which will take at least two months.


5) Stamp Duty fee calculation
1st S$180K is 1%
2nd S$180K is 2%
Remaining amount is 3%.

For example: if you are buying a property that cost S$600,000, the stamp duty will be as follow:

1st S$180,000 @ 1%- S$1,800
2nd S$180,000 @ 2%- S$3600
Remaining S$240,000 @ 3%- S$7,200
Total stamp duty is S$12600

6) Bank Valuation
Bank valuation on the property you wish to buy is very important. The bank valuation will help to determine how much cash upfront you need to fork out and whether you are buying an overprice unit or getting a good deal. Never take the Singapore property agent’s claimed valuation as final. Agents do cheat on valuation. Make sure to check with an independent third party such as a Singapore mortgage consultant or your own personal banker who can help you to make sure on getting a proper and correct valuation. Different banks often give different valuation for the same unit.
7) Bank Loan
Not all banks offer up to 90% bank loan. Some bank only offer up to a maximum of 80% of 85%. Thus if you wish to buy a unit with a 85% or 90% bank loan, your choice of bank selection will be limited. Its recommended that you talk to your mortgage consultant or bankers up front on your intention to get more than 80% loan.

8) One should also compare the various bank interest rates to secure the best bank
loan. Some loan package come with lock in period and others use Sor or Sibor rates. Property agents usually ask one of their most frequent use bankers to advise the buyer on the interest rate. Often they do not help the buyer to compare the rates and package from the various banks. It is up to the buyer’s due diligence to do so. The use of independent mortgage consultant will be helpful in this aspect.

9) Ensure that you can secure the bank loan before paying the 1% option to the seller. In the event that your bank loan is not approved, you will have to either top up the differences in cash or to forgo the purchase, end up losing the 1% payment.

10) If you are buying a sub sale unit that is still under construction, you will need to
pay another S$400 to S$428 administrative charges in cash to the developer for the paper work procedure fee.

No comments: